Thursday, May 1, 2014

Carpe diem, dog.

A couple of great things have happened today. Number one. I was boiling macaroni and only had to taste one noodle because I boiled it for the exact perfect amount without even trying. I think I'll be an Iron Chef one day. Number two. Natalie is wearing magenta rompers. Wear them while you can. Number three. I had a carpe diem success. Here's the story.

First of all, I don't really think that carpe diem is a good motto for life, or for raising children. But I do think that every once in a while, it's smart to not worry about everything that you could be worrying about and just love what's happening (aka carpe diem...), but just once in a while.

I was boiling previously mentioned macaroni when little Natalie decided it was nap time, in a big way. I scooped her up with the intention of keeping her happy for the next eight minutes while I finished the noodles, then it's nap time. She would have none of it. So, I turned the burner down to what I hoped was low enough to not have my noodles boil over, and we went to go rock.

I was rushing the rocking to get back to my pot, and so when I put Natalie down she cried and cried and cried. And I thought, what the heck. I'm going to rock my baby to sleep.

And so we rocked and swayed and hummed and rocked, and she was out within four minutes.

Did I have to change the foil under the burners? Yes. Did my pot run out of water? Almost. But I soaked in a moment that I would have squandered otherwise. She'll only be seven months and one day once, and she is already almost too big for her romper.

I don't know how to wrap up the story, so here's some pictures.




1 comment:

  1. Love this post! And all the posts of late! Way to blog!

    ReplyDelete